Monday, May 26, 2014

Welcome back third trimester!

I've been so tired in the evening and early mornings that I thought it might be a good idea to split my workout in half (half in the am and half in the pm) to see if it helped my energy levels throughout the day. For about two days I think I felt pretty good...then my body realized what I was doing.

M- 20 min progression run/ 38 min run
T- 35 min run/ 30 min bike w/ pick ups
W-35 min run/ 25 min run
TH- 30min run am/30 min run pm
Friday- Off. The double running was a failed experiment and I woke up so tired Friday morning that I promised myself no physical activity all day. 
Saturday - 10 miles @ 8:30 pace. No walk breaks. Pelvis muscles are going to ache tomorrow. Took a two hour nap to recover.
Sunday - 5 miles recovery, did power walk a good portion of the first two to warm up my lower half. I can actually walk pretty fast, 13:30 per mile! Soon I will be walking faster than I can run...

I still ended up with nearly 40 miles this week! I didn't realize I was still running that much. I'm in my third trimester now and I've gained about 18 pounds, probably 5 pounds up from last time. I'm eating better, running twice as much, and I don't look "fluffy" so my theory is that my body is retaining muscle, unlike last time where I lost a lot of it. Every time I take a step I'm carrying around about an extra twenty pounds so my body is working much harder. 

After our family vacation to Jacksonville, Florida for the first round of NCAAs, I promised myself I would allow more cross training on my schedule. I plan to buy a summer gym pass and use the elliptical when my pelvic floor is just shot. I figure that would help me keep my sanity these next 12 weeks as my family eagerly awaits the arrival of our new son/brother! My are so excited...fingers crossed there are no complications from here until the finish line.

Nursery is painted!

2 comments:

Murph. said...

You are such an athlete.

L.A. Runner said...

Already started incorporating some eliptical here... not really necessary, but I just don't love running as much. Does that make sense? I'm going to try some pool running when things get brutal hot here. I'm so ready to get into my 3rd trimester. Right now it feels like I will be pregnant forever. (I'm 24 weeks and 4 days.)

VERY good pace on the long runs and mileage total!!! I think I'm doing about 40 mpw? Not sure, just an estimate, but 10-12 milers are in the low 9s. Some of that slow down is due to having to walk up some of the steep hills, LOL.

Keep up the good work, mamma!