Monday, April 14, 2014

Pilgrimage half-marathon at 5 months pregnant


Columbus Pilgrimage Half: 1:36:57, 4th female overall (1st AG)
(Officially 1:37 something, had to stop to pee) 7:24 pace

Running a half-marathon while pregnant was a bucket list item I never had the chance to cross off with Maddy. I was sick, lightheaded and short of breath the whole time with my first, making running much more difficult. Even though I ran the whole way through with my first, my runs were shorter and slower and I pretty much started from square one post-partum. I really want this time to be different.

My first trimester with baby #2 I really suffered. Once I hit 6 weeks I was sick round the clock. It was a battle to finish most runs, not only because I felt so terrible, but also because I lacked motivation. I found that most runs done solo were usually cut short or slower than normal. As a result, I did everything I could to run with my friends.

For the first 15 weeks I made it through morning runs by stuffing a handful of jolly rancher candies in my pocket. As soon as I finished one, I would stuff another in my mouth. For some reason the sugar kept the nausea at bay, and by week 16 I was able to stomach half a copy of coffee and a few rice cakes before setting out for a morning run. As of today, 5 months into my pregnancy, I am still running 50 mpw with my regular running group AND still getting in one workout a week at about 20 seconds per mile slower than my marathon PR pace. Nothing crazy but enough to make the regular runs feel relaxed.

So a few weeks ago I decided to run a half-marathon. I had been running about 11.5-12 miles at least once a week at about a 7:20-7:35 pace. Being that there was a half-marathon 25 minutes from my house, I really couldn't pass it up. I got online a registered.

My husband was a little hesitant, not that I might get the urge to "race" but that he though I might be ridiculed because of it. Being a pregnant women in Mississippi I am often told that I should be "taking it easy" when in reality, I should be doing everything I can to remain healthy and active. I shrugged off his concerns and went anyway. Running while pregnant was nothing new to me....only this time I will be wearing at race number across my swelling stomach.

I rode to Columbus with two former teammates,  who ironically ended up winning both races. I did about a mile warmup beforehand, trying my best to avoid busy streets and awkward glares from other runners. Once the race started, things were pretty smooth, and I felt great throughout. Most of the runners I passed didn't know I was pregnant and most of the spectators didn't have enough time to tell anyway.

I was worried that it would have a hard resisting the urge to race, however I found that I was pretty content just running the 7:20ish effort I had planned for in the beginning. I stayed about the same pace throughout which told me my effort was probably spot on.

I'm proud of myself for getting it in. It's hard being a athlete on the sidelines, but pregnancy is a hard physical journey in its self. I'm hoping to stay in shape for multiple reasons, one including a relatively smooth labor and delivery. With Maddy I pushed so long that I nearly cracked my tail bone and couldn't sit properly for months. Hoping the second time around is a bit of an improvement. However, I'm just praying for a healthy new addition above all else. Physical activity and healthy eating will surely help.

3 comments:

Murph. said...

You are so awesome.

Katy Prescott said...

You are awesome!!

Katy Prescott said...

You are awesome!! It's an honor to have you run in Columbus and to get to see you run! You are an inspiration to me and my running friends here!!