Sunday, April 27, 2014

Being "Thankful"

I was in the middle of a week of chaos, extreme fatigue, and a lot of work. To top it off, my husband left for Penn Relays early, meaning I was once again in single parent mode. I was tired....no, I was exhausted. I kept praying for Friday night, knowing that the weekend brought a much needed long run with friends and added rest. When I am pregnant I really REALLY appreciate the weekends.

And then I had a moment.

I was in my car, just having dropped Maddy off at daycare and almost to work. I was in the far left lane getting ready for the turn, when someone pulled out right in front of me. I slammed on my breaks and pushed back hard on my seat (like it was going to help) but I couldn't stop fast enough.

BANG. We hit. My car their car....

....quiet....

I didn't know what to do, my heart racing. Eventually we both pulled off the road, called the police, did the whole report thing. I was standing there, 5.5 months pregnant thinking about how messed up my day was going to be now..... not even realizing how lucky I was.

On some good advice, I went and got checked out. Being pregnant and all, any sort of accident you should go make sure things are OK. And, things were fine. I am fine. The air bag didn't go off, I didn't hit hard enough for that. And, later on it hit me, what if it had? Things may have been very different right now. My baby may have been in trouble. My car, that's replaceable. The person growing inside me is not.

I took a break from playing catch-up with work and started reading a blog on Salty Running about struggling with infertility. It made me feel guilty somewhat, I have never struggled with this issue, and I feel that most days I do not appreciate the baby making ability that I have been blessed with. This women has tried to have a child for 4 years. I basically just breath wrong and I am pregnant. I need to make sure I take a moment everyday and appreciate what I have. I am healthy, my baby is healthy.

I am thankful. Very, very thankful. Everyday.

4 comments:

Johann said...

Glad everything and everyone is fine. You are right, we need to be much more thankful and aware of what we are thankful for.

L.A. Runner said...

Oh my goodness, Meggan! I'm so glad you are okay! I had a big "moment" last week. I was tired, feeling gross and out of shape, sorry for myself, even. And then I talked to one of my friends that is about to adopt. She and her hubby tried for 10 years to get pregnant. And me? Well, 3 months is all it took us. You are so right- we are VERY BLESSED!

Renee said...

I am so glad you and sweet baby are okay. i hate that sometimes it takes things like that to kick us back on track to remembering what is important. :/ makes me feel guilty sometimes when i get in that situation.

you look phenomenal btw. i am so excited for you and coach to add the little nugget to your family. :D Maddy is gonna make a fabulous older sister!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

oh wow ! what a scary moment in your day/life. I'm happy to hear you and baby are ok.