Friday, October 25, 2013

Taper

After running a disastrous half-marathon in NOLA in record heat and humidity (still finishing 2nd, I may add) I decided to really scale back my training. Surprisingly, my workout Wednesday after the weekend race went well, and the following Saturday I had a great 15 miler with the middle 12 at just a few seconds slower than my goal marathon pace.

Monday I cut 10 minutes from my regular run, and slept in Tuesday morning. That afternoon I hit the XC course for a little speed session.

20 min w/u, 20 min c/d
10 min at marathon pace
3x 1 mile @ 5:13, 5:11, 5:12

I had planned on hanging on for dear life at the back of the pack for the duration of the workout, but to my surprise I felt good, relaxed,and had a chance to push the pace up front. Either it's the taper, or I'm finally seeing the benefits of all those workouts I put together training for World Mountain Champs. Some what regretting that I'm not running National Cross, as it looks like I'm fitter this fall than I was last.

2 comments:

Meagan Nedlo said...

ha, i've barely ever run one mile that fast. sounds like you're fit! good luck!

mfranks said...

Ha! Yes, looks like fitness, let see if I can actually put a race together.