Sunday, August 25, 2013

Progressive run at Ackerman

18 miles w/ 10 at progressive tempo at Ackerman Lake (2.5 mile trail loop)
AM: 5 mile warm-up, 4x2.5 mile trail loop in
16:15, 16:13, 15:24, 15:04 (6:30/6:29/6:09/6:01)
2.5 mile cool down

Yesterday when I started my warmup it was only 75 degrees and 90% humidity...but by the time I finished it it was in the mid to upper 80s- still cooler than what it has been so no complaints.

Houston was taking his team out to Ackerman lake to run a fartlek on the 2.5 mile public trail so they could 1.) get off the roads and 2.) run as a team without worrying s much about traffic.I felt like it was a great opportunity to get a hard long run on the trails, seeing as I haven't ran on them since NACAC.

The course has lots of twist and turns and the surface is dirt, bridge, and gravel- therefore making garmin practically useless. Houston claims it adds about 10 seconds per mile to what one would "normally" run on the roads (however I'm pretty good a trail running, so I am not so sure that formula works for me).

I took a quick break after each 2.5 mile loop (just enough to gulp down water and take salt or a gel) and I think it was a good move, because by the time I finished I was freezing and shaking from being dehyrdated. With the humidity and temp combo and a 18 mile run (10 of which were progressive tempo) it was impossibly not to be.

I kept the first two laps as conservative as I could, and started to pick up the pace on lap three. Houston helped me around on the last one, and with the exception of a small panic attack about 600m from the finish (don't ask) I was pleased with how things turned out. In about 4 weeks time this worrkout will probably look completely different and I am really looking forward to reaping the benefits from training hard and smart this summer. Humidty and heat are not my friends, but they will make me stronger in the long run.

No comments: