Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mt.Schmidt

AM: 15 min w/u
6 miles continuous on Mt.Schmidt (aka Bevel Hill) alternating down hill mile, up hill mile
5:43, 6:41, 5:36, 6:54, 5:41, 7:01 for 37:39 total (90 seconds faster than last time)
12 min c/d
PM: 4 miles moderate

Mt. Schmidt is a mile long hill about 25 minutes from our house in the Noxubee Wildlife Refuge. Before NACAC I went out there with Houston and Renee for this same workout, which I ran in about 39:10. Honestly, it might have been more humid last time, but I also had friends suffering along with me. Yesterday, I was running solo, while Houston drove up and down the mountain shouting out words of encouragement and throwing me a water bottle...I couldn't have done it without him.

In college I ran this workout a few times, though we used to start at the bottom and run the first up-hill fresh. Because Poland is a down-up course we have been starting at the top, taking the first climb on tired legs. 

By the time the last climb came around I didn't think I was going to make it back up. Last time, I added nearly 30 seconds on the last mile, so I did my best to keep my head up, shorten my stride, and keep from falling over. I improved my time over a minute and a half.

A 90 second improvement over last time means that things are finally starting to click. My mileage is not very high yet, but I am running more each week and my quality is very high. Outlook, positive. Bring on the fall!

1 comment:

L.A. Runner said...

Nice job, girl! Keep it rolling! :)