Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hill Work Part II

My lack of blogging lately has been due to work and life living with an almost 3 year old. I let the cat out of the bag the other day that we would soon have a "Birfday Party" and we have spent every night since planning out the details (Dora or animal theme, who are we inviting, what the cake will have on it). I am also just over 2 weeks away from the Poland trip and I am trying my best to have everything (work related) completely done before I leave. A "vacation" durring the first month of the fall semester is not recommended.

I'm in the thick of marathon training, the last two weeks brought two (very difficult) 20 mile runs in 95-100% humidity. The first one was great for the first 9...then so miserable that I turned my garmin off after 14 and suffered through the last 6 saving myself the embarrasment of knowing the splits for those miles. The very next week was much improved. Besides 94% humidity, the temps had dropped to mid 70s and I coasted along for most of the run between 6:50-6:40 pace, even getting down as low as 6:25 during the last mile.

Progress.

Looking back at my log I've ran more this past year and a half than ever before. I've also not ran a single PR since may of 2012. There could be a number of reasons for this (lack of sleep, more work, not recovering from hard sessions) but Im trying to be honest with myself and realize that I just can't handle the higher mileage. The things in my life don't leave enough room for 90s or triple digit weeks and that mid 80s is all Im going to be able to handle. Still, its better than not having time to run, which I am thankful I have that.

Yesterday I ran another session of 400m hills followed by a short tempo. Saturday I will head to Ackerman with the team to run a 15 mile progression run. All in all, Im feeling pretty fit and Im excited for what lies ahead. Hopefully, I can capture one more personal best before I work on baby number two. After all, there is always a chance the running doesn't come back as easily the second time around.

No comments: