Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Hill work

After Sutton I took about 5 days off to get recovered from a pretty unimpressive spring season (with the exception of the mountain race). It was everything I needed, and I came off the break fully motivated and ready for the next round of training.

These past few weeks I've been extremely busy with work and with a July 1 promotion on the horizon (yay) I've been taking full advantage of the summer months to get prepared for the craziness of the fall semester. My workouts have changed, now that I've got to get usd to running up 20% grades for extended periods of time (do you ever actualy get "comfortable" with that?) and every workout has a down/up cycle to it as Poland is a down/up course.

For someone who doesn't do hill work (I run my workouts on hilly courses) I had no idea what I was missing. Running repeats alternatve 0% and 12% inclines makes every workout more interesting and extremely challenging. Ive found that it takes two full days to recover from the hard sessions, especially now that its summer in Mississippi, so I'm back on the hard/easy/easy cycle. I'm feeling extremely strong and my longer runs and workouts paces have started improving again. I'm also keeping my weekly miles at a steady 80+-, not where I would like to be but seems to be where my body feels comfortable right now.

With the exception of a nagging achilles, my body feels pretty good. I haven't had any issues with my S.I. Joint ever since I decided to postpone my marathon goals to the fall and focus more on the mountain running. I've got some very exciting racing scheduled in the coming months: NACAC in New Hampshire, World Mountain Champs in Poland, a marathon in late October, and World XTerra Champs in Hawaii at the end of November. After that I will put up my flats for a well needed break of (hopefully) 9 months or more.

10 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

Hmmm.... nine months!!! :) :)

So I'm basically so obsessed with having a baby that I can't even remember what you said about racing some championship thingie, blah, blah, blah. :)

Hopefully I will get to take a nine month+ break soon, too!

(Seriously, good news about those hill workouts and everything coming together. Summer running in the south IS tough. Hats off to you for putting in the work. I know it will pay off!)

Kristen Lawrence said...

So many amazing things on your horizon! Excited for you and like always, excited to read about your journey. Nice work!

SupermomE12 said...

20% grade? Yikes!! I live in a super hilly area (Rocky Mountains) and there are days I would KILL for a flat stretch of road, but I know the hills are good for you. So glad that the training is going well!!! I am cheering you on! :)

And congrats on the promotion. Hope it goes smoothly.

And YAY for a 9 month break!!! It doesn't get much better than that. :)

Gracie said...

So glad you're feeling strong! These must be some crazy workouts - 12% grades?! Couldn't even walk that for long!

PiccolaPineCone said...

it's funny how a hint of a baby will bring out all the commenters. after you won cdn mtn champs (happy belated canada day btw - we're 146 years old! i don't feel a day over 140, do you?) i meant o post to say congratulations, well done and etc. but never got around to it but the baby hint got my fingers moving. i guess i am more baby obsessed than running obsessed.
anyway sounds like you will be in a great place mentally to grow #2.

David Bend said...

I love reading your blog! Please keep sharing! :)

David | Toronto SEO Service

Anonymous said...

mrn said...

don't you mean a marathon in EARLY october?? )

mfranks said...

AHH, yes Early October!!

katie @ msfitrunner said...

Awesome training and excited for you about a 9month break! The best kind of break:) I'm sure you've talked about it, but what marathon are you running in October? Chicago? Looking forward to following along!