Monday, May 13, 2013

Change of plans.

After battling sacroiliac joint issues all spring, along with insomnia/sleeplessness for the past few weeks, I have decided (after many conversations with Houston) not to run the Ottawa marathon.

This spring I have gotten really strong, but I have yet to get fast. I have logged more miles and put in more work then ever before. But, with what I have been dealing with these past 4 weeks, it looks like I need another 5-6 weeks to train, rehab my hip, and find out what is keeping me up at night. I can't run another race after a sleepless night, and I don't want to attempt 26.2 miles off of 0 sleep. Maybe a half, maybe a 10K, but not a marathon.

If I run Ottawa, I predict a 2:55 and I've worked too hard to settle for that. With more time to prep I have the chances to replicate the last five weeks of my most successful marathon, and potentially PR or get extremely close to it. I've decided to run Grandma's marathon on June 22.

Though I will miss the Canadian Marathon Championships, I want to give myself the best chance possible to run well. I've done really well with my strength, recovery, and building up my miles. I've done more long runs over 13 miles at marathon pace then any other marathon training cycle. I just need a few more weeks to deal with these issues.

Looking forward to the next 5-6 weeks.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I just found your blog and you are the first person I've found that is running with an SI joint problem. I'm sure there are others but it's inspiring. I've had it for 2+ years now and plan on dealing with it my entire life. Currently pregnant so running is pretty much out of the picture as simple things like mowing the lawn knock out my legs.

My pain is a little different as it radiates down my hamstring from my SI joint (which I initially thought was sciatica) and I have trouble holding weight on my legs because it's like the muscles spasm and release.

I'm nowhere near as fast a runner as you but I do hope to qualify for the boston maraton one day and you give me hope. After this pregnancy I plan to get things back together.

One question: do you wear a belt while running? It seems to help me but I never got back up to any decent mileage before I got pregnant again and undid all my SI joint work.