Sunday, April 7, 2013

Weekend recap

Saturday: AM: 3 mile w/u, tempo on hilly "campus 5", 5 mile loop @ 30:04, 45 sec stop for Gatorade, 1 mile @ 6:15 pace, 1 mile c/d
PM: 30 min easy

Sunday: 21 miles w/ 16-17@ 6:55-7:15 on hilly loop (South Farm x 2) + 20 min progression
Starting @ 6:58 getting down to 6:18 + 10 min at reg. pace c/d (2hr26min)

Saturday ended up being a horrible day for this workout. The wind was strong and in our face for 3/4 of the loop, it was hot and the sun was blaring. Normally, I wouldn't complain about a day like that but I haven't had the chance to train in anything besides cold and wet in a very long time (except for running indoors every once in a while). I was told to go out really slow, which I did (6:23) which just made me feel sluggish and tired. Eventually I brought things down to 5:53 after we got out of the wind but I just couldn't keep the intensity going. I was too wiped out.

I made the decision to only go six once Houston stopped us and made us drink after the first loop. I realized then, I was getting extremely dehydrated and felt it was time to call it quits for the day. I spent the rest of Saturday playing with Maddy and drinking pedialite (this was a smart move by me).

Sunday I went out solo for a long run on the hilly loop we call "South Farm". Have I mentioned how much I love South Farm? Anyway, I felt great for the entire run, stopped for one gu and a splash of water from a facet at the recplex around mile 11. It was miserably warm compared to what we have been running in, but finally I am starting to reap the benefits from all those crazy 18 milers indoors at 75+ degrees. I had no trouble in the heat today. Even got in a progressive 20 minutes at the very end. All in all, really pleased at how the long run turned out after yesterday.

I've really put in a lot of work this week. Not really too concerned about one bad session when I look at what I have been able to string together in the last 8 days.

-Meggan

1 comment:

L.A. Runner said...

Excellent excellent week!!!!! I'm curious as to how you bounced back from your energy slump. I would LOVE to hear your advice. I'm doing MUCH better with iron, energy, etc, but I haven't had it reflect in my racing yet. (However my training has improved.) If you want to email me or message me, that would be fine, too. Keep up the good work, girl!!!!!