Monday, March 25, 2013

Praying to the Turnover Gods


I've had two S.I. episodes this week, but the last one was not near as bad as the first so I feel like I'm headlong back in the right direction. I saw Jack Weimer for an hour, I did strength everyday. I'm running a large amount of miles, and with the exception of having no turnover, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

There is not question that the long tempo runs drive my training, so I've got another one scheduled at the end of this week, running the Viking half in Greenwood, Mississippi. I've got a long way to go until I feel like I can run 6:20 pace in my sleep, but each week it feels like it is getting a little easier.

I've started to feel like the treadmill running has made my hamstrings weak, so I've been trying my best to run everything on hills and hilly gravel loops. My Saturday tempo was sort of a disaster, but looking back I think I just needed someone there to push me when the hills killed my pace...and there was nobody within minutes of me. This week will bring more recovery runs and two quality sessions that will hopefully give me confidence for the next few weeks. I don't feel tired, but the recovery runs are planned...and I'm trying my best this year to keep on track with my schedule and not overdue.

Sunday:20 min w/u 13.21 miles in 1:23:59 (6:21 pace) 10 min c/d (S.I)
Monday: AM: 44 min PM: 30 min
Tuesday: 1hr 34 min easy w/ Kelly
Wednesday: 21 min w/u, 4x400m, 2x800m, 1x1600m, 2x800m, 4x60sec hard, 32 min c/d (11) (all at 16:40-17:05 5k pace on hilly road loop)
Thursday: 51 min easy
Friday: 81 minutes w/ Micah & David
Saturday: 20 min w/u, 32 min c/d, 6.3 miles of extremely hilly tempo in 38:30 (6:07 pace) S.I bad but better than Sunday. (13.3)
Sunday: 2hr 25 min (20 miles) long run on South Farm (dirt road w/ hills) last 5 miles @ easy progressive tempo, starting at 6:58-6:21 (felt great today)

2 comments:

mainers said...

looks like a great training week to me! good luck in the Half

L.A. Runner said...

Nice week! I'm curious to know how running on the TM leads to weak hammies. I don't run on it ever, but I'd like to know, anyway. :)