Thursday, March 14, 2013

Baby Steps.


Monday: 80 minutes @ 6:58-6:44 w/ 10*1 min hard @ 5:18, 1 min jog in btwn.

Tuesday: 72 min easy

Wednesday: 90 min w/ strides

Thursday: AM: 30 min PM: 1.5 mile w/u, 8x1000m @ 3:35, 3:33, 3:32, 3:32, 3:31, 3:30, 3:34, 3:27, 1 mile c/d w/ 4x 150 strides (on the track) 90 sec rest

One thing I don't do a very good job of is describe in my training log is how much "effort" I put into some of my training sessions. I know that the "giving it all you got" mentality, as glamorous as it may seem in fitness inspired posts floating around Facebook, is really a recipe for disaster in the long run. And this year I'm looking forward to a long racing season which means I've got to be more patient in my hard sessions and more focused on my recovery.

I've been sleeping more about eating better, which means my overall energy has improved. I've stopped counting miles and started back counting "minutes" and running doubles when I'm really tired. Though last week was great for training, I did deal with an episode of S.I. This caused my long run (20 miles) to be much slower than I would have liked, but overall successful given I had already ran 2 hard session and a pretty hefty amount of miles. 

Thursday I ran my first track session in over a year. Houston assisted with the pacing (I told him I wanted to run around 5:40) and helped me hit every interval on target. I left the track feeling like I had more energy then I had started. I'm hoping this is a good thing and does not mean I should have ran harder.

This Sunday I will run Germantown Half in preparation for the Ottawa Marathon, which is also Canadian Marathon Championships. I've had my eye on this race for years! Now I finally have the guts to run it. Hopefully the next 10 or so weeks will have me toe the line fitter than I have ever been. Either way, it'll be a journey.

Run Happy.

-Megg

4 comments:

Johann said...

You are training really hard. It is looking good for that marathon. Keep it going!

Richard Hefner said...

Glad to see you're running the Germantown Half Marathon Sunday... me too! Hope to see you there! By the way, did you know that if you win you'll be tied for 1st in the Open Women's Division of the Running Journal Grand Prix with one race left in the season? Here are the current standings...

http://running.net/female-open

L.A. Runner said...

That first track workout back- oooof. It's always so scary going into it, not knowing where your fitness lies. Looks like your is doing quite well! Have a great race this weekend!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Hope the race goes well Sunday and gives you great feedback on your path to the Ottawa marathon.

Strong Heart, Strong Mind !