Saturday, November 3, 2012

New plans

After a number of doctors appointments and an extra week of feeling like garbage, I came to the conclusion that what sidelined me at Columbus was stomach flu, and that dropping out when I did might actually be a blessing.

The very next day coach John emailed me about National Cross Country Championships. I begged Houston to let me go, I even robbed all the piggy-banks in our house just to find enough change to pay for the flight (there are perks to being married to a change hoarder).
He agreed on one condition, that me ferritin levels come back over 30 ( actually it was  53!). So with the marathon on the back burner (maybe not completely) and a 7k through mud and snow in three short weeks, I am desperately trying to piece together workouts so that I don't get my doors blown off in the opening kilometer.

So far so good. One bad workout and two good ones. Tomorrow I have 2x3k with the women's team...in which my goal is not to cry, die, or throw up ( though one of those will likely happen)
As for training...my legs have been cramping terribly when I sit for longer than 20 minutes at a time, so I am trying not to worry about the miles. Instead, I am focusing on how I feel daily, how much I am sleeping, eating, drinking...all the things that I have convinced myself matter very little in the big scheme of things ( which I know is wrong).

This week my training suffered a little bit. At last minute, I got on a plane Thursday morning, knowing that other things were more important,  and that running would likely be pushed to the side for two days. I did manage to run both days that I was there, and even tackled the Rocky steps (a must for any Philly adventure).

The trip was neither work nor running related, it was personal. It left me caring very little about the miles I logged that week..or the races I had planned. It made me once again realize that life is so unpredictable from one day to the next...and that we all need to be grateful for our almost perfect middle-class lives and beautiful families. That life is funny and twisted at the same time. That beautiful moments become the most prized possessions that we will ever own.

Today, be thankful for who you are and what you have. Many people have just suffered great loss, and are learning to live with a lot less.

Thursday: 15min w/u, 6x3min @ 5:39, 5:36, 5:33, 5:33, 5:27, 5:27, w/ 2 min rest, 10 min c/d ( treadmill @ 0 incline)
Friday: AM: 20 min, PM: 50min
Saturday: 94minute run w/ 60 min steady (outside), 14min @ 6:15 (outside), 3min rest, 10min @ 6:15& .5 incline, 2 min, 10min @ 6:11-5:30 (progressive @ 0 incline)
Sunday: 75 min
Monday: 84min
Tuesday: AM: 20min PM: 20 min w/u, 5k for the United Way @ 1 mile too hard, 2 miles tempo (slow, legs died), 30 min c/d (1st/1st, no splits, no Garmin)
Wednesday: 64 min
Thursday:1hr57min w/ 60 min @6:40-6:55, 25 min of fartlek, 5 min jog, 15 min of fartlek, c/d
Friday: 45 min
Saturday: AM: 60 min PM: 30 min

No comments: