Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday Tempo

4:45 AM: 2mile w/u
7 mile tempo loop in 41:37 ( first mile easy in 6:20, last 6 miles 5:53 avg)
3 mile c/d

I am extremely pleased with how this run went because I was really worried about this workout for the past week. I have been sitting pretty logging tempos at 6:15 pace (marathon pace) so I knew trying to get my legs to go sub-6 for 7 miles was going to be a challenge.

I started out easy for the sake of my hip, and after clocking a 6:20 for the first mile I really got after it. It took about 2 more miles for my legs to really respond to the pace (I won't lie, I was a little worried). By mile two I was completely alone (one friend is training for a half-iron man, the other is running a 50K in a few weeks so sub-6 was really not the goal) and by mile 3 I found my stride and didn't feel like I was about to fall out at any minute, if anything I let me legs dictate the pace while paying no attention to my Garmin.

I won't say that my hip is completely fixed, but it is almost back to where it was before the S.I. relapse. I didn't get tight until mile 6 and I was still able to maintain once I hit the last hill on South Montgomery. This loop is not flat, its got 3 really good ups and downs and some nice long stretches that make it a great loop for tempo. Last year I ran this loop in 43:01 preparing for the Atlanta 13.1 (I ran 1:20:37 there) so things are continuing to fall into place!

No comments: