Saturday, August 25, 2012

Marathon paced tempo

AM: 3 mile w/u, 7.5-8 miles @ marathon pace, 3 mile c/d
6:24, 6:16, 6:13, 6:08, 6:19, 6:13, 6:23, 6:20 (.75)

This workout was a bit of a fail. I have just put in 4 solid weeks of training and higher than normal miles and my legs are pretty fried. This morning I had planned on running the Poor House loop (8.8 miles) at sub 6:20 pace, but when I finished my warm-up my legs felt tight and shaky. I told Houston that I didn't think it would be a good day for the session we had originally planned so I just decided to warm-up into it and see how things unfolded.
The positive thing I took from this workout is that the pace was not hard. My breathing was controlled and I was not working too hard to maintain pace all on my own. The negative thing...I cramped badly. Houston was nice enough to throw me a drink, a gel and some salt from the car but nothing I took made my legs feel any different.

Once I finally turned back on South Montgomery with less than 1.5 miles left, my legs just died. I cramped all the way up on my left side, thus deciding the workout was over. I jogged a few more miles and called it a day.

Next time my schedule calls for a recovery week, I'm going to take. Once again, lesson learned!

2 comments:

Renee said...

seems like we always are learning new lessons...and then we think we learn them...and then we learn again. haha.

regardless, great week and great job.

keep grinding :)

btw, the pictures are awesome that you took from the workout. thanks.

L.A. Runner said...

That's still an amazing workout. I assume your next goal is Trials?