Friday, June 1, 2012

Unfinished Business.


It’s always been here, this little voice that I’ve tried to ignore for many years now. Every once in a while it goes into hibernation for a few months… then one day it reappears just as strong as the last day I heard it. It’s not really a voice…it’s really just a thought…. a number on my “running bucket list” that has been crossed out and re-written numerous times over the years. And once again, I have rewritten it.
It’s about the 5000.
I don’t know what it is with this distance. Maybe I have never felt like I “defeated” it.  I could care less about the 3000m, the mile, or  (my main event in college) the 3000m steeple chase. Heck, I don’t even care near as much about the 10,000m, the event I was originally recruited to run during my time at State. There is something about the 5000m. For me, I am not happy with my college best.  I’ve never been happy with it.  I never gave it enough time, a fair effort.

My best dates back to Indoor 2003 (sophomore year). That season I ran a 17:08, 16:59, and  17:01.  After that, my focus switched to the 3000m steeple. Then I had the fall.
It happened at conference with about 3 laps remaining in the race. I felt good, relaxed, maybe too relaxed…we were going into the water pit. I got in position to get my foot on the barrier like I had done maybe a hundred times that season.  Although this time, I missed it and fell head first into water pit. I laid there for what felt like eternity, shooting pain down my back, chocking on mouth fulls of water (I then got up and finished 7th). Since then my hip has given me a lot of trouble in races between 3 miles and 6 miles…until having Maddy.
How do you get over major SI problems? Have a child. Not really, but in all honesty, child birth fixed my hip. Now I don’t mean that my hip was fixed immediately after child birth, but the physical therapy that I have completed since pregnancy has fixed it.  Before having Maddy, I thought I had tried everything and had really given up on getting the hip better.  Interesting the way things work out.
So back to the 5000m. I am confident I can run a personal best at 5k on the track. I have a few weeks that I can “experiment” before going into full blown marathon training, so Houston has put together a few 5k workouts to try to help me string together 3 miles at 5:25 pace. I will have to run this 5k on the track (obviously) and we are still not sure if this 5k personal best attempt will be at an All Comers Meet during the late summer, or a time trial on the MSU track.
In the end, I just want to PR in the 5k, cross it off my bucket list, and then get back to marathon training.
Here it goes.

3 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

3.1 @ 5:25, you've got it. No doubt in my mind:)

Vicky Cook said...

I love that you are going to give that PR a go! I guess that what makes you who you are, not happy with anything other than your best. A mere mortal would be happy to let it lie :D 3.1 at 5:25, what a goal! Good luck

Ewen said...

Hi Megg. My first comment but I've been reading your blog for a while now. Hope you can find a good race where you're not battling the weather or running solo. You look to be in shape to go for the track PB -- that was a nice win on the road last week.

Even when you're back in marathon training it might be worth racing a 5000 (if one's available) as marathoners often race good 5ks off marathon training.