Saturday, May 19, 2012

Training Week.


Monday: 10 miles recovery
Tuesday: AM: 8 miles, PM: 2 miles with the stroller (put Maddy to sleep)
Wednesday:  3 mile w/u @6:50 pace, 2 mile c/d @ 6:50 pace
5 min @ goal 10K Pace (5:36) 2 min rest, 20 min @ goal HM Pace (5:52) 2.5 min rest, 10 min progressive (start @ 6:07 working down to 5:13 pace) 11+
PM: 4 miles w/ the jogger
Thursday: 80 minutes easy on south farm (10.5)
Friday:  8 miles with strides, legs still dead so cut my run short
Saturday: 17 miles w/ 16 miles @6:35 (felt great!)
Sunday: AM: 8 miles PM: 4 miles
-83 miles

The workout  on Wednesday was hard.  I could tell my legs were having a little bit of trouble with the 5:36 pace at first …but I felt strong.  Finally, after 3 weeks, I feel like I am getting my legs back.

The 20 min at tempo portion was what separates “the girls from the ladies”…..It was hard.
I figured it would not be that hard being that it was only 20 minutes and it was a pace less than 10 seconds faster than my current half-marathon pace (PR pace). However, after about 12 minutes I started to struggle, I broke it up by managing the rest of the interval in minutes.  Once I had less than a half mile remaining, I knew I could do it.

Houston had designed this workout for me.  I am sad to say that I did not run it the way he told me to. Originally, I was given only 60 seconds rest, but when I finished each section I realized I needed more time to recover.  I’m really going to have to work on the recovery portion in these next few months.

The 10 minutes progressive was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. The first two minutes I ran at 6:07 pace which I felt like I was recovering.  I just continuously dropped the pace down each :30 to :60 seconds until I was basically sprinting with less than 90 seconds to go.

It was a good morning.

This workout was just what I needed.  Gum Tree was quite honestly my worst performance since returning to running after having Maddy (if you compare fitness to race times and how badly I died after half way). The course was fair and I ran slow.  My legs are finally back, I owe it to myself to run another one for a respectable 10k PR.

Saturday’s run was awesome.  I felt good from the beginning and my pace did not slow on the hills or the gravel. It’s been a few weeks since I have been out at Boardtown and I was reminded how much I miss being in the company of about 40 other running locals.

Next week I’ve got another pretty hard session before the Cotton Row 10K on Memorial Day.  Honestly, I have no idea what to expect because I’m seeded 7th with my 10KM split from Nationals.
No expectations on placing, I just want to execute this race to my strengths.

-M

1 comment:

Kristen Lawrence said...

Another incredibly impressive week! Good luck at Cotton Row!