Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gum Tree 10K Mini Recap & Back to Feeling Normal

After 3 weeks of being sick with a Half-Marathon PR sandwiched in between, I finally got a some what decent week of mileage. Unfortunately, I was scheduled to run the Gum Tree 10K on Saturday, so I forced myself into a hard workout Tuesday without completely recovering from stomach flu or the 2nd sinus infection.

Tuesday ended up being the only day I could workout, and closer to the race and my legs would not have recovered, and further and it would have been pointless. Its sad the Tuesday's workout was the only workout I have done in 2.5 weeks with the exception of the actual half-marathon race. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, getting sick for three weeks straight happens when you don't get enough sleep and run 80 miles a week.

Gum Tree 10K is a very competitive race that is loaded with elites. It is also only an hour away from my home in Tupelo, Mississippi. This year was probably the most competitive women's field they have ever had. I happy to say that I did crack the elite 8 even with a very sub-par performance.
That is a "Oh wow, I thought I was 9th kinda smile." Lucked out today.

Warming up Saturday morning I could feel the heaviness in my legs. A few strides left me feeling tight and shaky especially in my calves and hamstrings. To make matters worse, I went out way to fast from the gun and hurt like hell for the first two miles (not what 10K is suppose to feel like- 5:27 through the first mile through residential neighborhoods.). Three miles in my race was basically over.. I tried to get it back with 2 miles to go but my legs just wouldn't respond to anything. I just basically survived.

I ran 37:10 (which is, sadly, still a state record). Gum Tree is still a fairly tough course, but its fair. If your looking at that time and thinking..."Wait isn't that basically your half-marathon pace?" You are absolutely right. I split 10k faster than that during a half-marathon.
After I finished the race I ran around taking photos for the Rod's Racers Facebook page. You can view  the photos at: http://www.facebook.com/rodsracers   
After talking with Houston I had a moment of clarity. He told me, "You are not running 10Ks and 5Ks to your strengths, you are running them to your weaknesses." This is why he is the coach and I am not. It makes so much sense that I was frustrated I had not realized it sooner.

So to finish off the spring racing season on a high note (and not a low one) I am going to run another 10K, this time I will run the first 3 miles as a tempo effort- at slightly fast than HM pace- and then race the next three miles with everything I have left. I figure at this point I have nothing to loose and everything to gain...especially a PR.

Monday: 11 miles
Tuesday: 3 mile w/u, 10.5 X 1000m @5:36 mile pace with 90 rest, 2 mile c/d
PM: 15 min jog w/ the stroller
Wednesday: 11 miles
Thursday: AM:5 miles, PM:5.5 miles w/ a failed speed fartlek (got through 2-3 intervals pretty good, legs too dead after that)
Friday: 8 miles easy (7:20 pace)
Saturday: 20 min w/u, 20 min c/d, 10K race in 37:10, 20 min c/d (11.5)
Sunday: 15 miles on the treadmill in 1:47:44
Miles for the week: 79

Half this week was treadmill miles, Houston was gone to the SEC Conference Meet. Maddy spent Saturday morning with her Grandparents while I ran. I don't know whats more impressive this morning, the fact that I got 15 miles in, or that I was able to distract Maddy for almost 2 hours. Happy Mothers Day!


5 comments:

Murph. said...

Happy Mother's Day - Fran

Raina said...

Good effort in the distance on what sounds like a challenging course. And going out hard and trying to hold on in the 10k makes it even more challenging. I am curious about what Houston said-"You are not running 10Ks and 5Ks to your strengths, you are running them to your weaknesses.". You have been marathon & half training and not specifically training to the shorter distances. Is that what it meant?

Anyhow, congrats on finishing near the top in fast group! Great pics too:)
Get well and happy mother's day!

Lize Brittin said...

I hope you are getting back on your feet now. Congratulations on getting through the race after all you have been through. A 37:10 all things considered is impressive.

Nice pics too! :)

Emily said...

Congrats on the race! I'm always impressed my mothers who are able to keep running and racing a part of my life. I hope to be one some day so you are an inspiration!

Vicky Cook said...

wow just found your blog, I'm new to this, think I just found me some inspiration! Now YOU can run! ;)