Sunday, March 25, 2012

5 weeks from Montreal (Half-Marathon)

This was my last week of “recovery” after NOLA Marathon, I did my best to run less than I wanted to. My legs feel good, and I’m itching to crank up my miles. I ran 65 miles this week and it feels like I barely ran at all.

Wednesday was my first official workout back and I felt surprisingly well. Originally, I had scheduled 8X1000m @ 5:35 mile pace (goal 10K pace), but I was bored half way into the first interval so I ran 5 min intervals instead.

Saturday I planned to run my standard 6 miles at goal half marathon pace. Typically this is usually a shock for the legs after the marathon. To change things up, I ran the local Historic Starkvegas “10K” (it’s a very hilly and long course, 6.43 miler to be exact). I ran a great tempo and awesome splits, averaging 5:57 (sub-80 pace) on the hardest 10K course I have ever run. It’s a rather new race…a nice scenic course that needs to be measured or certified (obviously). But it was incredibly organized in its second year- if they end up getting it re-measured for next year, I may do it again. Great hill training!
Oh yeah, I did win, my friend Kelly was second. I felt fantastic!
Right before the finish! Photo by Rod's Racers

Kelly and I after our race/tempo run.

Monday: 10 miles
Tuesday: 10.5 miles ( w/ Kelly)
Wednesday: 15 min w/u, 10 min c/d, 5X5 min @ 5:35 mile pace with 2 min recovery jog in between (on treadmill) felt heavy during the first two intervals, great after that.
Thursday: 8 miles (up late- conference)
Friday: 10 miles (conference)
Saturday: 2.5 mile w/u, 6.43 mile tempo at goal half-marathon pace (38:16 or 5:57 pace) felt great! Very hilly and difficult course, 3 mile c/d with Kelly + 1 mile fun run (13 miles) 1st lady.
Splits: 5:56 (up hill) 5:49 (flat), 5:53, 5:55, 6:01, 6:04, 5:59 (final .43) ~last two miles were very hilly and zig-zaged a lot which caused my splits to be slower, effort was the same.
Sunday: 6 miles (wanted to run more but I have 4 really big weeks ahead of me)

Currently I am working out my training for Canadian Half-Marathon Championships. The goal is to average somewhere around 5:55-6:00 pace.  Ultimately, I would like to break 78, but I’ve got to put the work in first.  I was just told today that I have a Montreal Endurance teammate looking to run 1:17:30 so I am very excited…going to hang on as long as I can and see what happens.

Before I forget, I now have a new sponsor! That is right, GU has entered me into one of their programs. I’m extremely excited, cannot wait to try some new flavors! I guess stealing all those GUs in the elite tent at NOLA was not necessary after all J

-M

4 comments:

Gracie (Complicated Day) said...

Nice work for recovery weeks! You are sounding super strong. Can't wait to see what's up next.

inspirunning said...

Congrats on the 10K win and on the Gu sponsorship! Both awesome news!

Richard Hefner said...

Good job on the 10k and congrats on the GU! Must be nice to run like that!

kris-lawrence.com said...

Congrats on both counts! I am so impressed with your marathon recovery speed.