Saturday, January 28, 2012

What about the coach?

I'm always going to be close to coaching. My husband is a coach, I coach, my friends coach. I'll never get away from it.

As an athlete I don't think we always think about the coach. We don't think about the time, effort, faith that our coach often puts into us. When we give up or stop trying, we also give up on our coach. We forget about them, we forget that it is not always about US.

I think the hardest thing for a coach to accept is when athletes don't want to try, don't care, otherwise give up before their coach gives up on then. All that time and effort that they have invested in that athlete is completely wasted.

Running is a very selfish sport. My husband works very hard to make sure I get my runs in, but he also enjoys coaching. When I ask him for training advice he drops everything. It is his passion, he was made to be a coach. 

My job as an athlete is to give back in performance. If I can't preform to the best of my ability, I can show I care by putting in the effort, by doing the right things, by being a good athlete.

If you have a coach, make sure you are being a good athlete and don't forget to thank your coach once in a while.

5 comments:

Renee said...

l-o-v-e THIS!


amen.

i couldn't imagine running for anyone else. thanks for the wonderful reminder.

steady pursuit said...

So true. I have no link to coaching these days but appreciate everyone who helped educate and build me up over the years even if I often didn't realize it at the time.

Allison said...

The first thing I did after I PR'd and BQ'd my last marathon was text my coach a big fat "could not have done it without you" text.

Great post!

Maria said...

This is a great post! In my case my boyfriend is my coach and he can be quite tyrant but I always make a point of thanking him for the time and effort. A lot if the things I have accomplished are because of him.

Sunny 2 Runner said...

This is a great post. The gift of being coached should never go unrecognized by an athlete. I have so much gratitude in my heart for my coach.