Sunday, December 11, 2011

Snickers Marathon Training wk 1: Putting on my Mom Jeans

Not literally but "hat" just didn't cut it......

My daughter was very sick this week so I missed a bunch of miles as well as some precious ZZs.  As important as this 12 weeks of training is leading up to the Snickers Marathon in Albany Georgia (or NOLA…not sure) when Maddy is not feeling well, miles are going to be missed.

Monday: 1hr 39 minute run (13-14 miles)
Tuesday: 60 minutes w/ strides
Wednesday: 3 mile w/u, 5X1 mile on treadmill w/ 2min recovery jog in between: 5:46, 5:39, 5:33, 5:30, 5:20, 3 mile c/d (11-12 miles)
Thursday: AM: 45 minutes recovery, PM: 30 min recovery
Friday: 72 minutes (10 miles- treadmill)
Saturday: 17.37 miles in 1:54:30 (6:35 pace) at Boardtown  - Browning Creek loop-  7:08, 6:33, 6:39, 6:19, 6:23, 6:37, 6:38, 6:23, 5:58, 6:39, 7:11, 6:32, 6:38, 6:27, 6:43, 6:35, 6:29, 2:25 for .37
Sunday: 50 minutes


The night before my scheduled long run, I was up with Maddy for almost 3 hours.  Because I was exhausted when my alarm went off at 5:00AM Saturday morning, I ended up sleeping right through it and woke up at 6:04 instead.  By the time I finally got out to Boardtown, the group was just turning the corner onto South Montgomery, which left no time for warm up miles.

Browning Creek is my least favorite route.  This loop takes you around the sharp rolling hills of the lake at B.C. and is dreadful on the legs (dreadful meaning good for you).  Typically, I struggle running 6:50s on this loop, we got down under 6:00 for a while to give you an idea of how the morning unfolded.
Running back towards home we took the scenic route and ended up with what felt like a million miles with wind dead in the face.  At around 15 miles, I saw M. stop in front of me and we took about 20 seconds to collect ourselves “I want to vomit.”  …”  I’m hyperventilating.”  …“my face hurts.”
Once we were done complaining we set off to finish the last two miles as best we could to clock just under 17.5 miles for the day in 30 degrees with wind in every direction (ok, not really but it felt like it).  I am not sure if it was the hard running or the lack of warm clothes, but after this my chest hurt the entire weekend.

Sometimes it takes weeks like this to put everything back into perspective. Though I hate to see my daughter under the weather, I did enjoy the hugs, cuddles, and “Mamas”.  There is no better feeling. Makes everything we do so worth it. 

2 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Well, you are running amazingly well on little sleep. I predict a sub 2:46...

Raina said...

Sick kids night after night can be exhausting. Great job getting out there after the sleepless night. An hour of make-up sleep was definitely in order!
Enjoy those cuddles. Hope you are not sick too.