Sunday, December 4, 2011

Finding my inspiration. Two falls from the training wagon

When I was in high school I used to hang pictures of pro athletes all over my bedroom walls. My Dad hated it because I would use tape that would peal the paint away.  I don’t even think I knew who all the athletes were, but the pictures looked cool so I hung them up. Most of them were pullouts from running magazines - I can think of think of at least two of them that have been busted for performance enhancing drugs.  What a great example for a young athlete.

All those posters ended up in the trash once I left for college. Thanks, Dad... really, I mean it.

Lately I have been really thinking about what/who inspires me. I am not inspired by professional athletes like I used to be when I was younger- unless they are Mom’s/Dad’s, doing something amazing outside of the sport (which many are nowadays). Don’t get me wrong, I would love an autograph from an awesome pro, but if their job is to do a particular sport, then…well…are they not just doing their job WELL?  I do my job well too, do you want my autograph?

No.

I recently learned that a running acquaintance of mine turned 80. Eighty years old.  Yep.  This person runs,  is very independent, intelligent, knowledgeable.  It never would have occurred  to me that he was eighty, until someone finally mentioned it.  Wow.  An athlete at 80 years old? That’s what I want to be.

That’s inspiring.

Most of the people I follow (blogs) do amazing things outside of running,  all kinds of people…some Mom’s, some Dad’s, some working, some not but they are real people chasing very different dreams…running marathons, running 5ks, 10ks, ultras, triathlons, everyone has a very different LIFE and a very different GOAL.

In the end, I don’t think it matters if you are a 2ish hour marathon, or a 6 hour marathon.  As long as you are living your dreams…one day you may just be the fittest 80 year old in the state, country, world….and I may just want your autograph.

Back to training…………….

Monday: 90 minutes
Tuesday: 45 minutes
Wednesday: 2 mile w/u, 8X800m on road– 2:35, 2:44, 2:32, 2:36, 2:43, 2:42, 2:42, 2:36) 2 mile jog, 10 minutes at goal marathon pace on t-mill (6:20), c/d (10.5 miles)
Thursday: 50 minutes
Friday: 10 miles
Saturday: 15 miles w/ 6 miles at HM goal pace (4 miles, 6 miles at 6:05, 5 miles)
Sunday: Planned distance run 70ish minutes

So I have a confession to make, I stayed up late watching TV with my husband Monday and Wednesday night so I didn’t get up early enough Tues/Thurs morning.  Afternoons are for family so I didn’t get out and run again either of those days.  Oh well, if this is my way of getting the laziness out before my new training cycle starts, I don’t think I have too much to worry about.

Wednesday’s workout total rocked.  I felt so good I jumped on the treadmill and added a ten minute tempo on the end.  The times were not my fastest but they were good enough for the “in-between”.

Saturday’s workout did not rock, it was the exact opposite. The plan was to go out for a 15 mile run and drop down to half marathon pace for about 7 miles. About a mile into the tempo portion, my hip had already started cramping and I could feel my back tightening up.  I stopped for about 20 seconds about half way to stretch my back…and at one point during the run, I hit my garmin and screamed, “I can do long runs faster than this!”  I have to say sorry to Houston for having to witness my ridiculous breakdown.

And actually, no..I can’t do long runs faster than 6:00ish. It just happened that when I looked down at the ticker on my Garmin it read a 6:23, which was wrong as I actually clocked 6:02 for that mile. I’m not sure why this workout was so important to me. I guess I still can’t get over the fact that my goal half marathon pace is right around 6:00….for 13 miles. And I guess I expect 6:08, my PR pace to be easy. It’s not. I’ve got to work my way back up there. Missing distance runs wont help.

SO the plan is to have a REAL plan…one of paper that I can look at and check off the days/weeks knowing I am doing everything it asks. This plan will be put together today, with the help of my husband/coach/better half.  

It will be up to me to execute the training.  I’m sure I can/will.

8 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Love this post! Completely agree about running idols! I follow them during Boston or New York, but that is about it. I am much more inspired by bloggers who juggle parenthood, work and sport. I have my 80+ year old runner in my neighborhood. I see him almost every day, and we say hello. I told him a few times that "he rocks" and that I want to be like him.

I completely relate to your thoughts on your paces. Yes, I, too expect my HM pace to feel easier than it is, and can't imagine running 13 miles @ my planned HM. But it will happen, just like it did last year.

So excited to follow your training. Fingers crossed for the hip!

Renee said...

meggan, YOU inspire ME.....in every thing you do.

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Beautiful post and yes, I am inspired by the 80 year old runners!

Jenn said...

I loved this post. So well written! Read it yesterday on my phone and I bookmarked it!!

I'm inspired by SO many different types of people. I'm attracted to those who are confident in who they are regardless of their abilities, those who are determined to improve regardless of their abilities, those who can balance and prioritize and achieve their personal goals regardless of their abilities.

I'm inspired by YOU, because you're fast, and you're confident but I'm also inspired by your dedication to your family. The fact that you manage your time to always keep your family #1.

And yes, again drooling, this time at your 800's. Good luck with your plan! I made it through week one of mine with only changing 4 of the 7 days-ha!

Anonymous said...

Good post. I became examining regularly this unique blogging site and i'm pleased! Useful information and facts especially the leftover portion I continue to keep these kinds of advice a lot. I became seeking out this particular information and facts for a long period. Many thanks and greatest connected with fortune.

Christie said...

I love stopping by your blog because you inspire me!

Richard Hefner said...

Great post Meggan, and thanks for appreciating the old people. I'll be 60 in February and since I just started running at 56 it'll be my first age group change. I'm excited... kinda like looking forward to Christmas when I was a kid! Last week my wife and I ran a 5k in Honolulu and there was a 91-year-old who ran. I didn't catch his finish time but at that age just finishing really is an accomplishment. You probably know who Ed Whitlock is. He's the 80-year-old from Canada who has broken almost every age group record that exists. I've got a Google alert set for everything I can read about him. I'm hoping I keep going into my 80s and beyond. At 59 I'm in better physical shape than I was at 29, so that's encouraging. Hope to see you at a race again sometime (are you planning on running Germantown again??). I'd really like to get your autograph too if I see you!

ayedubbscclark said...

In the end, I don’t think it matters if you are a 2ish hour marathon, or a 6 hour marathon. As long as you are living your dreams…one day you may just be the fittest 80 year old in the state, country, world….and I may just want your autograph.

LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!
-aye dubbs