Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas in Canada and a marathon training update (in the snow)

Just in case you don't know, my family is from the north...way north. Right now we are in Athabasca, Alberta Canada, visiting my family. The roads are like running on a hockey rink and the temps are pretty chilly. Being that I grew up here, I'm used to it but its always a little shocking on the body the first time out the door.
The Athabasca River in Athabasca, Alberta, Canada

My legs are seriously trashed from calling a 90 minute run recovery for the past two weeks, so I basically took an off day on Wednesday (the day we flew out of Birmingham). Besides, I didn't want a repeat from Atlanta...some of you may know what I am talking about (that is a story for another day).

Monday: 90 minutes
Tuesday: 3 mile w/u, 3 mile c/d, 3X2 mile on campus 5 mile loop w/ 2:30 jog rest
11:35 (into the wind), 11:15, 11:10 on measured loop (garmin measured 1.95 miles, 1.95 miles, 1.97 miles)
Wednesday: 25 min jog at 4AM (travel all day to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)
Thursday: 80 minutes w/ 10X1 min hard (5:00-5:15 mile pace), 1 min easy in the middle (10.5+)

Tuesday's workout was not executed properly, and therefore I only ran 3X2 mile versus the 4X2 mile that I had planned. I was impatient into the wind and it cost me part of the workout. I am not strong into the wind, I fold like a cheap tent every time. Instead of staying relaxed I tried running too fast too quickly and suffered late. I figure I will make up for it on Saturday. We will see.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday with their friends or family and avoiding desserts and wine as much as possible (haha, right). Just a reminder to all, your health never takes a holiday.


Megg

5 comments:

A-Pi (Peter) said...

Wow, didn't know you had roots here. It seems like the snow's melting in Calgary. I'll be starting a marathon training cycle soon myself. Merry Xmas!

lindsay said...

that's a big difference from the deep south! :)

merry christmas to you and yours!

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Merry Christmas! Running in the snow is HARD! I don't know about Atlanta...sounds bad...it WILL NOT happen again:)

Jesse Armijo said...

That's pretty awesome! Canada sure looks a lot different when I was there back in August. Enjoy your time with your family, and the training!

ayedubbscclark said...

SNOW! None here. Happy Holidays!

-Ayedubbs