Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tapering for Niagara. 5 miles at "Hard".

Monday: 80 minutes w/ M & D
Tuesday: 60 minutes
Wednesday: 2.5mile w/u, 2.5 mile c/d, 5X 1 mile in 5:30, 5:29, 5:18, 5:35, 5:29 (5:28 avg. on road course)
Thursday: 60 minutes
Friday: 70 minutes
Saturday: 3 mile w/u, 5 mile "tempo" on " new campus 5" in 28:14, 50 minute cool down (14+ miles)

Course mile splits: 5:35, 5:42, 5:36, 5:42, 5:39 for 5 miles in 28:14
Results from garmin: 4.9 miles at 5:45 pace for 28:14

Today's workout was supposed to be 5 miles at hard tempo. I think it just ended up being 5 miles at hard. For those of you that don't know, "new campus 5" is the old campus 5 with just a bit extra added on. However, the loop and garmin still did not agree completely.

I started this run with the men's team. The plan was to stay in contact and try to pick off someone that starts having a bad day. That didn't happen.

By the first mile I was already 10 seconds back, and the gap just got bigger from there. After about 2 miles I basically couldn't see a single soul, trying to run sub 5:40s by myself is not something I am used to. Still, I went through 5k in 17:30 or so. Good but not true tempo, more like REALLY HARD.

Mile 3 I started having a little bit of a melt down, I had a side stitch and my hip was a little tight, I tried to slow down and maintain effort. By the time I hit 800m to go, I was kicking hard but felt like I was running terrible...the goal was originally 28:45 and I felt like I was slower than that. 28:14 was a huge surprise.

I am 4 weeks out from Niagara falls and I am starting to feel a little tired, I took my miles down this week to make up for it. On Saturday we will travel to Atlanta and run the Atlanta 13.1 against Ms. Meagan Nedlo. I am so excited to have some super studs to race against, my half marathon PR is pathetic in comparision to what I have been training at... I really hope to run a good race.

As for Maddy, she took 4 steps on Wednesday night. How fast she grows, it amazes me. We are practicing her "cowbell" skills. She's a natural, probably because her Daddy and Mommy are both bulldogs. It's in the gene pool. She will go to her first football game tonight.

I apologize for my lack of "blogging" lately. I'm just tired.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

WOW! That is a smokin' awesome 5 mile HARD!! I don't even run that fast in my dreams!

The HM will go awesome for you!! A big time PR that will set you up just GREAT at this point!! Can't wait to see what you do in this marathon!

mrn said...

Dude, your 5-mile workout is identical to my 8k race PR. You are going to rock it next weekend!

Jesse Armijo said...

5 miles hard seemed like a great workout! Good Luck!

Jesse Armijo said...

5 miles hard seemed like a great workout! Good Luck!

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

OK, I bet you are going sub 2:50, heck, sub 2:45 even! You are running so well, on tired legs, wow! That 5 miler is HOT! I am so excited about your race! I'd be curious to see how you do your taper. I am feeling a bit tired myself and debating if I should start an earlier taper...

Lize Brittin said...

Wow! That's impressive, Meggan. Awesome job. I hope the race goes well!

ayedubbscclark said...

Holy Hell.... You are killin' it!
-Caitlyn

Raina said...

Fantastic workouts! Best wishes in your half. It will be nice for you to have some good competition, I am sure.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Have fun racing! Hope you PR!