Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mama's got wheels.

A good week of training. Still had a few days were I was pretty drained, but all in all I can't complain.
Monday: 80 minutes
Maddy during her only calm moment at Ruby Tuesday's on Sunday!!
Tuesday: 60minutes w/ strides
Wednesday: 3.5 mile w/u, 2 mile c/d, 8X1000m at L. Threshold (3:33.9 avg) w/ 60 sec rest.
Thursday: 80 minutes
Friday: 50 minutes recovery
Saturday: 20.5 miles,  w/ first 7 miles at relaxed, 13 at marathon pace (6:37 avg)
7:50, 7:09, 7:12, 7:01, 7:00 6:53, 7:01
6:46, 6:43, 6:42, 6:33, 6:28, 6:42, 6:39, 6:27, 6:37, 6:34, 6:42, 6:36, 6:34, 6:47
.5 mile jog
Sunday: 2 mile walk/run w/ M.E., + a 60 minute recovery run

Miles for the week: 75-77. I typically don't keep track of miles, but I know that if I want to get down to 2:50 for the marathon, I've got to start averaging closer to 80 miles a week. Because of my responsibilities with Maddy, family, and work, 80 miles is my max. After I get through running everyday, life takes over.

Wednesday I joined the Women's XC team for "1000s" on the fields at the Starkville Sportsplex. Houston told me repeatedly that this workout was L.T. and nothing faster. Feeling very relaxed and going through the first 1000m in 3:18, I told him "there is no way in hell that is 1000m meters". Still, we continued on, running them all around the same or faster. Clocking 3:01 for my last one, it was very clear that the course was short, and Houston did end up going out and remeasuring. It turns out that the course was only 900-915m and all our times had to be converted. All in all, the workout was a walk in the park and I am hoping that I will still be able to jump in with the team later in the season when they start doing their fast stuff. Fingers crossed!

Saturday I was scheduled for another 20 miles, and after realizing Thursday that I was completely out of SaltStick, Houston made a last minute trip to boardtown bikes to get me some endurolytes (thank you, Mr. Amazing). I am not familiar with endurolytes, but I was desperate at this point. Mississippi in August is not the most ideal conditions for a 20 mile run. Fortunately for me, the temperatures were pretty mild compared to what they have been and I did not experience a single cramp. To be honest, after 7 miles at a relaxed 7:00, 6:37 pace started feeling like a jog and I ended up with 13 miles at goal marathon pace (6:37). Again, no complaints here.

Sunday morning I expected to wake up with a throbbing achilles and an aching back, but I felt neither during my 60 minutes at a snail pace. I am hoping to continue riding this fitness train until October 2nd when, thanks to Meagan Nedlo,  me and Mr. Half Marathon (aka my arch nemesis) will meet for the final time in Atlanta this year. Wish me luck. It might get ugly...for Mr. Half Marathon I mean.

On another note, I know that a few of you probably got your new copy of Running Journal yesterday. This issue has been dedicated to Mr. Charles Reagan, and if you open the cover there i a short article about him. Mr. Charles recently passed in a tragic way, and once I saw the article my heart sank. I never knew him personally, but I would remember that bright purple singlet and shorts anywhere. In March of this year I ran the first half of Germantown Half Marathon with Mr. Charles, he was friendly and helped keep me positive through the first half. It seems that Mr.Charles was one of the South's best Grand Master's runners- he was this years Grand Masters Running Journal Grand Prix Champion. He won the 45-49 age group four straight years in a row. The video of his tribute is below. It is beautifully done, I encourage you to watch it.

3 comments:

Michael Barnes said...

I knew Charlie through racing also at the G-town half. I live just down the road from where Charlie lived and never liked seeing him line up beside me, as I knew I was in for a tough one!
What a small close knit running community we have. Your husband coaches a family friend of ours from Arlington.
Your progression/dedication following your pregnancy is amazing. Good luck!

ayedubbscclark said...

Great Post.

Keep on keeping on. I always enjoy reading up on your training!

Marc said...

we just watched it! a little anti-climatic, but...i'm guessing you happened to see the ethiopian?!?! talk about needing new shorts!

i bought the package, so i've been glued to the computer. how's training going?