Saturday, July 30, 2011

Rally cap kind of week.

Monday: 12 mile (85 minutes) w/ 4 miles in the middle at 6:35 pace, 4 attempts at strides.
Tuesday: 8 miles (60minutes)
Wednesday: 2 mile w/u, 3X2mile on "campus 5"-measured w/ car- @ 11:33, 11:34, 11:13 w/ 800m in between, 1 mile c/d (10 miles)
Thursday: 65 minutes recovery (8+)
Friday:75 minutes (10+)
Saturday:17 miles in 1:55:50 (6:48 avg, last 14 at 6:39 avg)
7:49, 7:20, 7:22, 6:56, 6:48, 6:46, 6:37, 6:31, 6:50, 6:39, 6:37, 6:38, 6:27, 6:44, 6:17, 6:42, 6:38
Sunday: Planned 8 miles

Total miles for the week: 74 in singles
Total dove chocolates for the week: 96 (or 4224 calories)

I woke up Monday and told myself this would be a rally cap kind of week. The stomach flu had left me super dehydrated for the first few days but didn't destroy me.
I made a comment Wednesday that I don't yet think my body has completely recovered from Winnipeg.

Ha, wrong!

I did a great job taking my salt, gatorade, and water late in the week because I had some chest cramping Wednesday (my sign that I need to hit the fluids). Though I didn't sleep much, Saturday morning I woke up feeling confident I could finish my long run.

The plan was to run 17 miles at a decent pace with a few legs at Mpace (according to coach Houston) but after 3 miles at a warm-up effort, I felt fabulous...I wanted to test the waters a little bit.

I felt light and fast...and was rather surprised when I was already cracking the 6:30's by the second water stop. Even though I did stop to take my gels (3 gels, 3 saltsticks) I didn't waste time, we got back on it as soon as everyone was hydrated. After all, its about to be August in Mississippi.....we were baking out there.

Aside from some hip cramping at mile 11 and 16, and my shoe strings coming completely untied 3 mimes (they kept slipping in the sweat) I had no issues. At one point I ran a 6:17 to catch back up after tying my shoes...and realized I had a lot left in the tank. I am not sure how long I can keep riding this fitness train, but heck, I'm going to keep riding it until it runs out of gas.

Hopefully it doesn't.

We had a great group out at the Whites being that Jan Morgan was visiting. For those that don't know, Jan was hit by a vehicle while riding in late May. She has made an amazing recovery and it was emotional for everyone to see her walking, talking, and in good spirits! Truly amazing!

At this point I still don't know what I am training for. I want to run NOLA next year and Canadian Marathon Champs, I want to crack the top five, I want to move up my ranking from 9th to 5th. But I'm not sure what to do from here to December. At one point I wanted to do Toronto...but I'm fairly certain I didn't make the cut. But that's ok. I understand. I need to have a little better performances under my belt before that can happen.

Don't judge a book by its cover. Yes I am slightly bitter. But hey, I can respect the decision.

In the end, its just running. My Maddy is almost ready to walk so I spend most of the day trying to keep her out of everything, as does Houston. Trying to find a good race to run has been put on the back burner.
9 1/2 months!!

As for the running skirt, it hasn't come in yet. Don't worry, I have not forgotten...

5 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Look at your beautiful girl, getting big!
Holy guac awesome running week for you, and after being sick! I have no doubt you will make top 5, the way things are going for you right now, and with your talent and determination.

Lize Brittin said...

Wow! Awesome week. I can't wait until I can actually start training for something.

Oh but I could probably keep up with you on the chocolate consumption! ;) Man, I think I ate enough chocolate covered cherries to feed a small army this week.

Jesse Armijo said...

Good Week!

Jesse Armijo said...

Good week!

Patrick Mahoney said...

As a triathlete, I look at your weekly stats with my mouth wide open. I then wonder what kind of volume I could do running wise without switching between S/B/R and realize that there would still be no way. That's really impressive stuff!