Sunday, May 8, 2011

Being a Mom and being an athlete- yes I can and will do both: 6 Weeks out from Marathon.











Training update: 6 weeks out from Winnipeg Marathon

Monday: 70 minutes with M&D

Tuesday: 60 minutes

Wednesday: 2 mile w/u, 8X800m @ 2:36 avg (on road loop) 2 rest, 3 mile cool down, w/M,D,Houston

Thursday: 70 minutes (felt great)

Friday: 60 minutes

Saturday: 21 miles in 2:24:50 (6:53 average for the run as a whole)

splits: 7:43, 7:10, 6:55, 7:02, 6:59, 7:01, 7:12, 7:01, 6:48, 7:01,

7:03, 6:31, 6:43, 6:28, 6:43, 6:43, 6:35, 6:39, 6:43, 6:41, 6:59

*Record setting day! Longest run in my life= 21 miles

In the next few weeks I will attempt a 16 miler at 6:45 pace- this will mean no stopping to take gels/water- I will need to learn to take in fluids and carbohydrate via Houston throwing these at me out the window of the car. ….Wish me luck.

Wednesday’s workout was suppose to be 10X800m w/ 2min rest. This workout was done at 4:45 in the morning on the roads, so I gave myself a few seconds for that. My pace was slow- 2:44-2:48 because I just raced a half- but after running the first 3-4 at a conservative 2:43, I dropped down to 2:30 to average around 2:36 for the whole thing. Besides some tired quads, I felt pretty damn good the whole time. Given the state of my achilles, we cut out the last two and ran a longer cool down.

Saturday’s run was pretty much that same feeling. I ran relaxed early- not sure how I would handle 21 after having raced the Saturday before. After taking Gatorade just after 11 miles, I started to get impatient- I yelled out to M. - “Please don’t think I am an ass hole for running up here alone.” In which he replied, “It’s fine, I know you are all about the numbers.” So I continued to pick up the pace, while garmin quickly took notice…I watched as my clock steadily decreased till I was averaging just under 6:40 for the last 10 miles. I was fairly pleased by this run- but also not excited about the fact that my hip cramped from mile 12-16, and again during the very last mile. My P.T. appointment is Monday. I will be as dedicated as I can to this P.T. I need to get this hip problem taken care of once and for all.

So, it is Mothers Day, and like all Sundays, I am taking the time to reflect and evaluate if I am spending too much time on one area of my life and not enough on others. And as I sit here and type this- Maddy is crawling around on her new floor mat while watching blue’s clues (something about how the potty is fun and clean…thanks but she’s not quite there yet). It’s days like this that I make myself stop and think just how grateful I am to have a healthy child that is so low maintenance (well- somewhat). That I am able to work, sleep, run, and blog about it once a week while she does her own thing (because Maddy is an independent 7 month old- don’t you try to assist her in doing/hold anything!!).

This week I have been over taken with guilt about how I go about my life because my Dad came into town sort of unexpectedly. I didn’t have much time to prepare- so I neglected to make sure everything was clean enough you could eat off it. The state of our home has drastically improved over the last few months, but to some it could be cleaner. To most- it is livable now. For me, it is fine. When I come home after work each day I don’t feel like I am about to have an anxiety attack over dishes in the sink or a dirty floor, and thus I would say I am satisfied. However, the first think my father did was clean the entire second floor- which I think he did to help me out. But deep down I am thinking.. maybe he feels it should have been cleaner???

SO then I go about my week getting up at 4:00AM so that I can run (the one thing that allows me to deal with stress so that I do not have a breakdown over a glass of spilled milk or when Maddy has a paper cut) then proceed to get Maddy out of bed so she can be cleaned, dressed, fed, and her bag packet for daycare on time. All the while Houston and I are running around trying to get ourselves ready (did I remember to eat and brush my hair this morning??). Then we come home at the end of the day, and it’s all Maddy time once again. Don’t get me wrong, I would not have it any other way- but it doesn’t leave a lot of time for laundry and dusty. So these things get done in chunks, not consistently every night.

And though I know there are those around that feel I should give up the running thing all together and focus more on fitting into that traditional motherly role. However, the year is 2011- and Houston and I both work in jobs of similar importance, so screw the traditional role. I cook, he cleans, I tidy the den while he mows the lawn. I don’t feel like anything around the house is owned by me and I often get offended when important documents are addressed to Houston or when people feel like I should be left out of the loop when he scratches his signature on something that will affect us both.

So therefore I stop and realize that it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. And if my father (or anyone) thinks ,my relationship with running is unhealthy, well then that is too damn bad. Running, chocolate, and caffeine are the few things that allow me to live the lifestyle I want and if these things cause me to neglect house work- then that is just the way it is going to be.

One thing I will never to is neglect my own daughter- as far as I am concerned Maddy is the very center, everything else just revolves around her. And this I know will never change (only if I have another, then that wee one will also be added to the center).

And lastly, I just want to say thank you to everyone for the comments, text messages, facebook messages, emails, etc. etc. about last week’s race. The course was tough but a win is a win. I just can’t tell you how much it means to me when I am walking around at a race and someone stops me and says “Hey, I read your blog! I think it is inspiring!” Ha! I hope you think it is inspiring for the right reasons! I don’t care if you are a 2:30 marathoner or a 5 hour marathoner- If I read what you write- there is something you do that I find inspiring and is helping me to achieve some sort of balance in my life. And for that, I am thankful of you.

3 comments:

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

First congrats on the race last wk. The weather was great, wasn't?

Such a great post. I'm very similar, in that I am determined to live my life as I want, and not let others pressure me to be what "they want" or expect. My last blog, I mentioned that I have no children, by MY plan. I had several ladies who responded who feel the same, but are being pressured to do so. Such a shame when people want everyone to fit into the typical mold. You are a Runner! You do it very well. You certainly can be a great Mom, and a great runner. Congrats for doing so!

Caitlyn Clark said...

Sorry I've been MIA! Finally updated! I've gotta catch up on your blog!

Katie said...

congrats on the race last week. and HOLY COW are you fast!!! :)