Saturday, April 23, 2011

First 20 miler since pregnancy. 8 weeks out from marathon debut

This week:
Sunday:60minutes at a snail pace
Monday: 73 minutes
Tuesday: 2 mile w/u, 4X60/45/30/15 sec @5:10-5:15 pace, max of 60 sec recovery. + 20 minutes marathon tempo (6:20, 6:21, 6:20)
Wednesday: 60 minutes on the trainer & abs (achilles)
Thursday: AM:40minutes easy, PM: 15min w/u, 4X 1 mile on the roads @ 5:43, 5:32, 5:38, 5:21, 3 rest, 15min c/d
Friday: 10 miles w/ Micah (6:55-7:30)
Saturday: 20.0 miles in 2:18.04 (6:54 avg)
7:50, 7:22, 7:17, 7:03, 6:55, 7:04, 6:45, 6:55, 6:47, 7:00, 6:33, 6:31, 6:39, 7:17, 6:47, 6:41, 6:30, 7:00, 6:29, 6:31,

This week of training was a mixed bag. I hate a great tempo run last Saturday that shot my achilles for most of the week. I also got a massive chest cramp that hung around until Wednesday..both the chest cramp and the achilles caused me to cut both my work outs short.

Tuesday's workout was suppose to have a five mile tempo on the end, and I had every intention of finishing that. I clicked off a couple of 6:2o's that felt more like 7:00 pace...until about 2.8 miles in when my chest cramped up again. I don't know if it was dehydration, or the same muscle that spazed out during mile 8 of last weeks tempo but I could not get any air. Houston warmed me about trying to run through that... "It can hang around for days if your not careful." I tried three times to stretch it out and start again, but it just wasn't happening. I jogged the last few miles home to call it a day.

Wednesday I decided to take the morning off and run at lunch. We ended up so busy preparing for an awards ceremony the next day that I totally missed it, and then did not getting home till almost 9PM anyway. So the 50-60minute spin I did (which I don't even consider to be real exercise because I'm a compulsive-exercising psycho) was all I really got in that day.
Thursday morning I got up again before 4:00am to finish writing my speech for our awards ceremony, but still ended up getting in a 40minute morning run.

Houston was wonderful enough to agree to time my workout that afternoon on a road loop, so I was really excited for that (Maddy waited "patiently" for me to finish in the car with Daddy). The goal was 5X a mile with 3 minutes in between. My legs felt heavy on the first one, but the rest of my body felt fairly relaxed. I had planned on running the last two miles at 5:20, but my achilles really started to ache about half way through the 4th mile. I wanted to keep going, I knew I had another 5:20 in me at that point...but the question was asked, "If you do this last mile, will you be able to run tomorrow?" And at that point, I honestly did not know the answer. Houston made the decision to quit, I concurred. I jogged a mile or two before heading home.

Calling it quits on these two workouts was probably the only reason I was able to get my twenty miles in Saturday. Call my crazy, but I was waiting all week for this run. Houston, again amazing, agreed to drop Maddy off at the sitters by 5:30 AM so I could drive out to the whites and get 6 miles in before the group started. My achilles was hurting at first and my legs felt tired but I ran relaxed until my garmin started registering a sub 7min effort. Micah and Nathan joined me by the first water stop...which I added on again at each one...except the last one which we just
grabbed the water at anyway. I am happy to say that the mile I felt the best on was 18. It ended up being my fastest of the day...6:29. I felt fantastic.

That changed quickly once my garmin finally registered 20.0. Walking back to the house my legs just died. My quads and calves felt heavy and I had a hard time walking up the gravel. This feeling was then accompanied by massive cramping in my abdomen... a common thing post-pregnancy...and I ended up sitting on the couch with a pillow pressed against my back for most of the morning.

Because the cramping usually causes a loss of appetite, I quickly shoveled a few slices of bread and some death by cookie combo in my mouth and washed it down with some gatorade. I spent the remainder of the morning feeling like I was going to vomit..and this carried on until the late afternoon. Then, I managed to stomach some chocolate, banana, and some other random stuff after taking half a dozen advil.

This stomach problem concerns me because it happens after most of my runs. I talked with Houston about it and he assured me not to worry until it starts to affect my health.

I am not sure if it is just because I still have some weak muscles post-pregnancy, or if it is just from running hard....but it feels almost like a mild contraction. I don't know what to do to make it go away and none of the coaches at State have any experience coaching females post-partum. I guess I will just continue to workout on my ab ball and let it runs its course...

I am racing another half marathon next weekend. Mostly because the weather is going to start getting hot which means slow times. It wold be nice to get a Canadian Half Marathon Championships qualifying time if at all possible. In prior years, Ridgeland was at the very end of June and I bombed it twice. It would be great to finally run a good time...if possible.
Bought Maddy a new toy this week! She is truly posing for this picture as she was in a terrible mood at the time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!

Haley said...

Dang girl!

Anonymous said...

I wish everyone the best. Love the community, and all the info. Thanks :) Buy Backlinks

Fionnuala said...

Hi Meggan
I just wanted to say your blog has inspired me to run properly again...I am nothing like the runner you are, but I ran and raced before I had my baby eight months ago. Things didn't go smoothly but about 2 months ago I hit the London (UK) roads again and I am doing my first 10k in 10 days time...all I want to do is run it in under 56mins! Thanks for your blog and good luck with your running!

Fionnuala said...

HI Meggan
I just wanted to let you know your blog has inspired me out of the post-baby-non-running wasteland....I am nothing like the runner you are but I ran and raced and cycled before I had my little man 8 months ago. Things were less than straight forward but I'm finally back to health and a couple of months ago I started hitting the London (UK) roads again and am running my first 10k since baby on May 8...I just want to run it in less than 56mins!!! Good luck with your running! Thank you for the inspiration :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, got pregnant was up to 24 miles or over, had to stop once I found out I was into my 3 rd month. I had no idea I was pregnant and was running up to 12-16 miles every other day. Now, I'm 7 months, and can't wait until my 9th, so that I can heal and run my first marathon again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, got pregnant was up to 24 miles or over, had to stop once I found out I was into my 3 rd month. I had no idea I was pregnant and was running up to 12-16 miles every other day. Now, I'm 7 months, and can't wait until my 9th, so that I can heal and run my first marathon again.