Monday, February 7, 2011

Postpartum Running Week 16 & Yoga for Tight Hamstrings

Training Update:
Monday: AM: 4 miles progressive warm up, 8X2:00min hard, 60 easy
7:00, 6:27, 6:26, 6:21, rest 3 min, the 2 min reps were done at 5k-10k race pace(date pace)
8.25 miles total
Tuesday: 60 minutes easy
Wednesday: Modified bulldog miles: 2 mile warm up/ 1 mile c/d,
4X90 sec at 10k pace, 2X800m, 1Xmile, 2X800m, 4X90 sec up tempo
(1st 4 90 sec at 10K pace), 2:42, 2:48, 5:35, 2:48, NT, 2nd 90 sec half marathon pace

This workout went well for 4:30 in the Morning. It was just Micah and I & 20 degrees. I can make all the excuses in the world of why this workout was sub-par, however it was fine. I am not training to run 16:40 or sub 35min, I am training for a Marathon, and Maddy is less than 4 months old. Being that we started the workout from my house, we had to modify everything so that we could eventually run the 8's and the mile on a marked loop.
I have had three sleepless nights in a row and it is starting to have a negative effect on me. Today, I feel asleep in my office chair while reading. Good thing my Director was walking by and woke me up, what are bosses for right? In all honesty, he completely understands.
The ONE positive thing about getting no sleep is that it becomes much easier to play mind games on yourself. Like- that sign is only a minute away when it is really 4 minutes, you can really start to loose yourself in a workout, and not know the true effects until afterwards.

In all honesty, I was exhausted. If Micah was not out there with me, I would have laid down on the side of the road and took a nap.

I ran the first 8 's and felt alright, letting Micah smack me around a little bit. We headed into the mile and I went after it, trying not to settle and used the uphill to my advantage. Coming around the corner beside the Templeton building, I expected Micah to come cruising by, but he never did. I surprised myself on the mile, but also worked so hard that my legs died on the next 800, I just didn't have anything left for the last set of 400's/90 sec reps, so we ran up-tempo instead.

This workout has been on tap for next week for quite sometime, however, I ran a progressive "warm-up" on Monday that was considerably faster then I expected, so I swapped Bulldog miles for the 30 minute tempo that I had planned on doing. Turns out, Houston's team did this workout this week also- but on the horse park (yeah, how much fun would that be,?).

On another note, I have had a gimp hip/hamstring since sophmore year of college. SO much though that I was pulled from my regular event (the 5k) and thrown into the steeple (which eventually was the best thing for me anyway). This year I am doing everything I can to make sure I don't end up hurt like I always do by stretching/yoga/running extremely easy on my easy days. I was looking up some yoga exercises for tight hamstrings and came across this article from runners world. I have done them for a total of two weeks, and I have already felt an improvement in my left hammy. They are simple and only take a few minutes, I recommend them for anyone that has extremely tight hamstrings like myself.

The Cure: Supine Leg Stretch
How to: Lie on your back and place a strap around the arch of your right foot. Holding each end of the strap, draw your knee to your chest (move the hands up and down the strap as needed to release slack). On an exhale, straighten your leg upward as far as you can to comfortably stretch your hamstring. Hold for at least 30 seconds . Repeat for the left leg.

The Cure: Locust
How to: Start lying on your belly. Place your feet three to four inches apart and point your toes. Extend your arms in front of you, shoulder width apart. Squeeze your buttocks and press your pubic bone down into the floor. Inhale and stretch your arms forward and your legs backward as you lift your body off the floor. Keep your pelvis on the floor. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times.

Read the full article at Runnersworld.com

Anyways, the goal is to get a 15-16 mile run this week, then go back down for the next. If I don't get anymore sleep the rest of this week, I'm not sure if this long run will end up unfolding the way I wish it would. We will see.



No comments: