Saturday, January 29, 2011

Training for a marathon (15 weeks postpartum)

Sunday: 20 minutes on the trainer
Monday: 70 minutes on the trainer with 45minutes of 90 hard, 60 easy
Tuesday: 40 minute run (left hamstring on FIRE)
Wednesday: 8 miles with Micah and David
Thursday: 1.5 mile warm up, 3 miles at half marathon pace (6:35-6:22), 5 rest, 4 min hard, 3 min hard, 2min hard, 1 min hard. (5:45 pace)
Friday: 56min easy
Saturday: 14.8 miles in 1:45 (7:10 pace)

This week was crazy. Not only could I not walk for the first few days, but I barely got to speak to my husband. My legs were such a mess after the half that I could not even attempt running until Tuesday. I can't be bothered being hurt this year, I have spent more time hurt then I have healthy and I'm going to be smart about it.

As for Houston, well he has basically worked himself to death. I feel like we barely get to spend any quality time together anymore. He has practice 9 times a week and when he is home, h
e is recruiting or his phone is ringing off the hook. I seriously wish he would nix the morning practice- or at least have his kids meet on their own. I am tired of trying to pump and feed Maddy at the same time, its hard getting her ready by myself in the morning and spending half the week alone.

Don't get me wrong, Houston is a great father. He has already established himself as the "fun" parent. I'm just tired of the constant traveling, recruiting, etc. etc.

Some days I feel completely on top of things, others I feel like my life is going to spiral out of control. I have so many things going on, I feel like I am constantly forgetting something. I have gotten to the point that if I don't write something down, I will forget it, without a doubt. I've got to set three alarms just to remember a dinner date.

I know that my life is wonderful right now. I have a great husband, a very healthy daughter, a great job, and a hobby that keeps me healthy. I don't need or want much else, just that extra hour in the evening to try and establish some order back in my life. I know that when I finish breastfeeding, I will probably get two hours back in my day...but I don't want to think about that to much yet, Maddy and I are doing so well.

Maddy got into day care, and all of a sudden everyone wants a say so in where she is going. It is seriously irritating, I worked so hard to get her in, and now people are asking questions?? I am furious about it, and the only reason I am mentioning it is because it really hurts my feelings. I feel like people are judging me, "You're taking her where?" I am not a bad parent, I have done my research and I have worked HARD to get her where I want her to. If anyone wanted a say so in the process, they should have helped out a year ago when I started working on it.

That was completely random but has been on my mind the past few days. Related, now Houston is going to have to help me get her there and back, that is something I will not do on my own. (BTW, the treadmill has still not been set up yet, I would bring it in on my own if I could carry it.)

As for running, well it is going. I finally got a Brooks order in and I am sooo excited about my new gear! Now I will have something to race/warm up in. I'm also looking a the T6 Racer...but I'm going to wait a few weeks on that.

I'm having trouble with my knees, groin so I am thinking that I need to slowly add circuit back into my schedule. Also, being that I am running a marathon in 21 weeks, I've got a ton of work to do. 15 miles was the furthest I have run since February of last year. I just hope I make it to Winnipeg (June 19) in one piece.

On another note, the USA Half Marathon Champs were today, you can view a recap of the race at: http://shar.es/3HuJg


2 comments:

Caitlyn Clark said...

I'm from Massachusetts so "The Event" is the marathon... more specifically, Boston... but the trials would be even better!

I always think that women who can train seriously and take care of a baby are superheroes! Keep it up!

Mike B said...

Meggan, rarely do I comment on blogs and I came across your blog via Tim Budic's a few years ago. As a guy married to a woman who trains for triathlons, marathons, etc., and raises two kids, I admire you women for being able to juggle a career, kids, and being fit. Kudos to you all!
On another note, my wife also got a good bit of grief about baby raising decisions (i.e. childcare, feeding, discipline, etc.). Unfortunately, much of the criticism came from the dreaded outlaws/inlaws! In then end, Mommy always knows best!
Small world as well. I came across Tim's blog years ago and then stumbled upon many others, including yours . I live just outside of Memphis (in Arlington). I workout at the high school track at times and it turns out that one of their former athletes is coached by your husband.
I'm done with my random comments now. Good luck with your training!